Being Thankful in the Workplace
With the Thanksgiving holiday fast approaching, now is the time to recognize all that we are thankful for. Being thankful, however, is not only important during this festive season, but also plays a powerful role in the workplace!
While showing gratitude in the workplace has been proven to boost individual performance, it also directly impacts the organizational performance of the team while driving a firm’s sustainable success in the marketplace.
- A study by Oxford University tells us that happy souls (happiness is a proven by-product of gratitude) can be 13% more productive.
- It has been proven that 77% of consumers appreciate it when businesses demonstrate gratitude for their work.
- A study by Glassdoor revealed that 81% of employees were motivated to work harder when their employer expressed appreciation.
The importance of employee engagement cannot be overlooked, and many businesses are beginning to realize the benefits of a positive organizational culture. To create a better business culture, expressing gratitude and giving credit where credit is due is a good place to start. A positive experience within the workplace is best for everyone, and one of the best ways to achieve this is by ensuring employees feel appreciated and recognized for their efforts. A simple “thank you” is a cost-free and effective way to show appreciation.
5 Easy Ways to Show Gratitude in the Workplace
- Greet your employees when they arrive each morning
- Surprise your team with lunch, coffee, or another treat
- Be respectful of each other’s time
- Recognize efforts even when things go wrong
- Say ‘thank you’ often
The importance of gratitude in a business extends far beyond encouraging individual acts. It contributes to growing a positive workplace culture and creating an environment where all employees are more than willing to go above and beyond.